Academic Leadership Toolkit
Tenure Upon Appointment
FSU departments and colleges may recommend to the Provost and President via the Office of Faculty Development and Advancement that a faculty member hired at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor be granted tenure upon appointment at FSU. Typically, tenure should be requested prior to the appointment of the faculty member, and in no circumstances should it be requested any later than 3 months after the appointment begins.
- To provide for the hiring of a faculty member at the rank of Associate or Full Professor with tenure at FSU.
Authority and Responsibility:
- A five-member subcommittee of the University Promotion and Tenure committee appointed by the Vice President for Faculty Development and Advancement reviews material provided by the hiring department and recommends to the Provost whether the candidate’s record meets FSU tenure criteria.
- The Office of Faculty Development and Advancement coordinates the process, which is currently staffed by the Office of the Provost.
- Not collecting and submitting the required information in a timely fashion – tenure should be requested prior to the appointment and no later than 3 months after hire.
- Not including each of the required pieces of evidence listed in the Faculty Handbook.