Academic Leadership Toolkit
Office of Faculty Development and Advancement
Faculty Recruitment Procedure
The faculty search committee training provides strategies to conduct effective searches and make high-quality hiring recommendations. Before the search gets underway, the hiring official (typically the dean or provost) and/or the search committee should develop a recruitment plan. The plan delineates outreach efforts and activities that will be taken to build the applicant pool.
- Hire outstanding faculty
- Conduct an open, objective, and competitive search process
- Comply with federal, state and university regulations and policies
Authority and Responsibility:
- The dean/department chair is charged with stewardship of the entire hiring process from inception through welcoming a new faculty member into the department.
- The committee chairperson provides leadership to the search committee members and ensures consistency and fairness in how the search is conducted.
- Search committee chairs conduct searches without completing the required training.
- The hiring department must retain all hiring documents in the department for public record requests for 4 years.
- The hiring department must exercise due diligence by vetting a top candidate’s qualifications as presented during the application and interview process.