Please be sure to download the PDF forms to your desktop before completing, saving, and sending.
Step 1-9: To be completed by the host faculty member
1. Communicates to the visiting scholar/researcher about the Department of State's English proficiency requirements.
2. Completes the "Request to Invite an Unpaid Visiting Scholar/Researcher" form.
3. Obtains chair/director's and dean's signature on above form.
4. Forwards signed invitation form, along with CV of visiting scholar/researcher, and Deemed Export Questionnaire (DEQ) (if applicable) to Diana Key, Director of Research Compliance Programs in the Office of Research, at email@example.com for review. The Director will return the approved (or denied) form to host faculty member.
5. Provides copy of signed form, CV and DEQ (if applicable) to HR representative in the academic department/unit to complete background check questionnaire to determine if background check is required for scholar/researcher. The academic department is responsible for covering the cost of the background checks for all visiting scholar/researchers.
6. Contacts Angelique Stevens, J-1 Exchange Visitor Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, for details and forms necessary to issue the DS 2019 document required to apply for a J-1 visa.
7. Sends invitation letter, after receiving a clear background check (if a background check is required), along with a copy of the "Unpaid Visiting Scholar/Researcher Agreement" form to the visiting scholar/researcher to review prior to signing upon arrival.
8. Signs an "Unpaid Visiting Scholar/Researcher Agreement" form together with the visiting scholar/researcher, the host department chair/director, the dean, and the Vice President for Faculty Development and forwards a copy to Diana Key at email@example.com.
9. Ensures the visiting scholar/researcher completes Environmental Health and Safety training for laboratory work (if applicable), prior to beginning activities.
Step 10-12: To be completed by the HR Department Representative in the academic department/unit
10. Submits a background check questionnaire for the visiting scholar/researcher to Human Resources to determine if a background check is necessary. Completes the background check process if required.
11. Prepares required courtesy appointment form using the "Unpaid Visiting Scholar/Researcher Courtesy Appointment" form and information on the "Request to Invite an Unpaid Visiting Scholar/Researcher" form after receiving a clear background check (if one is required).
12. Sends the completed courtesy appointment form, copy of passport, request to invite form and all attachments as required by HR, and the "Request for J-1 Visa Status" form to Angelique Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org, the J-1 Exchange Visitor Advisor in the Center for Global Engagement.
Step 13-18: To be completed by the J-1 Exchange Visitor Advisor
13. Reviews the "Request for J-1 Visa Status" form to ensure that the application is complete and the visitor is eligible for J-1 status.
14. Issues the Certificate of Eligibility for the J-1 Visa (DS 2019) form to send to the visiting scholar/researcher and arranges for shipping with the HR representative or visiting scholar/researcher.
15. Sends a copy of the DS 2019 form, courtesy appointment form, and other required documents to Shayna Harris at HR-CourtesyDocs@fsu.edu in FSU Human Resources so that the appropriate visiting courtesy appointment is entered.
16. Verifies arrival of the visiting scholar/researcher (scholar/researcher must check in at the Center for Global Engagement within 10 days of arriving in the US) and validates immigration record in the federal database as required.
17. Reviews the health and any other required insurance coverage, purchased prior to arrival, by the visiting scholar/researcher to ensure that it meets federal requirements, covers the scholar and any and all J2 dependents, and covers the entire length of stay. (Insufficient insurance requires termination of the scholar/researcher's immigration status.)
18. Invites the visiting scholar/research to attend immigration orientation.