Academic Honor Policy
(Approved by Faculty Senate and Student Senate February 16, 2005; Effective August 22, 2005, Revisions Approved by Board of Trustees, June 2010)
The Academic Honor Policy is an integral part of the FSU academic environment. The policy outlines the University's expectations for students' academic work, the procedures for resolving alleged violations of those expectations, and the rights and responsibilities of students and faculty throughout the process. New students are introduced to the Academic Honor Policy at Orientation and pledge to uphold it at New Student Convocation. In surveys, students have indicated that the strength of an individual instructor's message about the importance of academic integrity is the strongest deterrent to violating the Academic Honor Policy. Thus, instructors should remind students of their obligations under the policy and fully communicate their expectations to students. If an instructor encounters academic dishonesty, he/she should follow the procedures detailed below to resolve the alleged violation in a timely manner while protecting the personal and educational rights of the student. All forms and resources to resolve any allegation can be found on this website. If you need further information, please contact Dr. Jennifer Buchanan, Assistant Vice President for Faculty Development and Advancement, at 644-6876.
Click here for the
Academic Honor Policy - PDF file
*Note that references to the Dean of the Faculties within the Academic Honor Policy should be interpreted as referring to the new Office for Faculty Development and Advancement.*
- Step 1 Agreement (Step 1's should be sent to Student Rights and Responsibilities, MC: 2440)
- Referral to Contest Sanction (Please send to the Office of Faculty Development and Advancement, MC: 1480)
- Step 2 Hearing Referral (Please send to the Office of Faculty Development and Advancement, MC: 1480)
Available in alternative format upon request.
- Student Information Session Checklist
- Current Academic Honor Policy Statistics
- Academic Honor Policy Committee
- Academic Honor Policy Training for Undergraduate TAs
- Unauthorized Collaboration on Facebook
- Flowchart of Academic Honor Policy process
- Special Instructions for Panama City Campus
- Sample Academic Honor Policy Statement for Syllabi
- Use SafeAssign or Turnitin to encourage students' intellectual honesty
- Understand copyright law (TEACH Act) and how it affects online instruction
- Academic Integrity Survey Presentation to Teaching Assistants
- Summary of Academic Integrity Survey Data
- "A Letter to My Students"
- Research and Documentation Online by Diana Hacker
- Prevention Tips
- Academic Integrity in Online Courses
- Student Assistance - Dr. Rachel Bukanc or Mr. Rod Kelley
- Faculty Assistance - Dr. Jennifer Buchanan
Florida State University is a proud member of the Center for Academic Integrity.